Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hungry Girl?

Are you "struggling" to lose 10-20 extra pounds? Pah, that's nothing!

I subscribe to Weight Watchers' newsletter. I don't do this in order to steal their tips in order to pass them off as my own, but rather to see what they're saying that is actually preventing people from losing weight/maintaining a healthy weight. (In my opinion, of ocurse. But all you need to do is look at that teeny tiny print on all the TV and print ads for Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. "Results not typical.")

Anyway, they have a "net presence" called Hungry Girl. Here's her story.

Lisa Lillien shares how her love of healthy food led to her career-path as "Hungry Girl."

I'm not a nutritionist, I'm just hungry, and my insane love of food kept me struggling with an extra 15 to 20 pounds for most of my life. A complete food makeover and shift in my mindset helped me drop that weight. My desire to control EVERYTHING (and my love of cute pants) keeps me on track, weight-wise.


Here's the thing. There's nothing wrong with being 20 pounds overweight...if that is all the overweight that you are! If you're a woman, it goes to your hips and thighs, if you're a guy, a pot belly. Big deal!

Now, obviously, an extra 20 pounds is the most overweight that you should be. Once you get to 30 pounds overweight or more, it starts to get unhealthy.

But I don't want my readers to obsess over 20 measly pounds.

In an article on what foods to avoid during Easter, a "food-centric" holiday, she writes,

Fatty Sides, Stuffing and Casseroles
Stuffing, saucy side dishes, and creamed items should be eaten with caution. It's just too hard to figure out how many calories and/or POINTS values they contain.


And I say, don't worry about it. Or perhaps what she means with "should be eaten with caution" is also what I mean, which is simply, take what you want, but only in small portions. There's no need to count calories or points, just eat small portions!

And of coure, get in a 30 minute walk or bike ride a day, a tennis game 3 times a week, and so on.

Easter is a danger for kids, in one way, just as Halloween is. They get all this candy - whether Easter eggs or Halloween candy, and they typically scarf it down in one sitting. I know I did. The best thing to do is to teach them that instant gratification is not necessary, and that they can have their treats as special desserts for the next several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment