Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Wednesday, November 2, 2011

If it tastes the same...then go for it...

I consider myself someone of an expert on ice cream, chocolate ice cream being my favorite.

And I can tell the difference between brands, just as I can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke in a blind taste test. (Pepsi is sweet, Coke isn't. Pepsi drinkers don't drink coffee, Coke drinkers do.)

So a couple of days ago I bought a container of Walmart's "Great Value" butter pecan ice cream. (I like butter pecan, but not enough to pig out on it. So I have that in my fridge, rather than chocolate ice cream, which has an irresistable siren call and which I eat only during summer time).

And I had a bowlful....and it was...not good. Seemed to be made from ice milk rather than ice cream. But it still had 190 calories per serving. (Which is a half a cup.)

Now, today I bought Bryers Slow Churned 1/2 fat Butter Pecan -- 120 calories for 1 serving (1/2 cup.) (Always check to make sure servings between ice creams are equivalent. Ya never know.)

I am familiar with Bryers Slow Churned 1/2 fat ice cream - they are my chocolate ice cream source during summer time (when I am more active and my serving is 2 cups!)

And it tastes pretty good - I cannot tell the difference between Bryers Slow Churned and other real (as opposed to "Great Value") chocolate ice cream brands.

And I don't think you'll be able to tell also.

So while I despise, in general, eating low fat or low sugar foods - and yes I can tell the difference - for whatever reason the Slow Churned ice cream tastes great, and you'll save yourself 70 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment