Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Outdoors too cold in winter?

As I've said here often, I'm not a winter girl. I bike in the spring, summer and fall, but in winter time I hibernate indoors.

Yorktown, Virginia wasn't so bad. The weather there didn't fall much below 30 degrees, and so I'd bundle up a couple of days a week and be able to bike around my housing area.

That's not possible here in Cheyenne. It doesn't get very cold...but that horrible wind...terrible.

Solution? My stairs.

I've got a single flight of carpeted stairs leading from the first to the second floor. There's bannisters on either side, but they really aren't necessary. The stairs are wide and perfectly safe.

And I run up and down them a dozen times a day. All at once, of course, because the idea is to get my heart beat going. And because I'm going up and down stairs, my legs get a pretty good workout as well.

If you don't have stairs where you live, or if it's not convenient to run up and down them, there is always your local mall. Typically the doors are opened early in the morning for those people who want to go walking in relative safety.

SO even if you hate winter with a passion, there are ways you can get out and get some exercise.

Do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment