Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hot Soup for sore throats and colds

It's when we feel sick - cold or flu - that we can start to eat too much comfort food, and since we spend all our time in bed (well, unless we're married and still have to take care of husband and children, who of course can't take care of themselves even if you are at death's door) we get out of our exercise routine, and depending on how long this lasts, the pounds can add up.

I bring this up because I've had a sore throat for three days, and I'm just waiting for it to develop into a cold. Frankly, I don't mind the cold, but the sore throat is getting on my nerves. Hard to sleep when your breath keeps catching in your throat, and when you swallow it feels like you're constricting your throat around a razor blade (albeit a dull one).

No chocolate! No icecream!

I've been heating up a bowl of cream of mushroom soup, and I leave it as lumpy as possible - I find the lumpy mixture of soup, when hot, soothes my throat better than just the liquid version. And after a bowl of that, it generally has coated the throat such that I can fall asleep.

How to not get a cold? Well - studiously avoid those folks who do have colds. Also, it's not enough to wash your hands each time you go to the bathroom, try to avoid putting your hand on the handle of the door as you go out, too. Easy to do in those places that give you paper towels to use, harder if you can only dry your hands on those little air dryers! Always bring your own tissue to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment