Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Do You Know When You're In The Wrong?

This may seem like it's OT, but bear with me, as I'll connect it up with your weight loss program shortly.

Many's the time, over the course of my 50 years, that I've thought one way, then realized - myself, without help from anyone else- that I was in the wrong and some other person was in the right.

The easiest way to explain this is when you're driving a car, and someone cuts in front of you, and you scream at them through the windshield. Then, after the heat of the moment has passed, you realize that you had a stop sign and they had a yield sign, so actually they were in the right and you were in the wrong, and this should be a lesson to you in future not to get caught up in road rage because the odds are it was either your fault, or the person on the other end didn't realize what he or she had done.

But I've always had these epiphanies, when I go over an incident in my mind. Sometimes I come to the conclusion that yes, I was in the right and the other person was in the wrong. But sometimes, on second thought, it is clear that I was in the wrong.

And I thought these epiphanies occurred to everyone! That everyone, when thinking back on a past event, did so objectively and realized that it was they who'd made the mistake, and they'd learn from that mistake and not make it again.

But apparently this doesn't really happen!

Well...small sample size, I'm thinking of my dad. He still doesn't think that the sailboat debacle was in any way his fault. I've pointed out to him at least twice that my sister clearly had no clue what to do from the get go, but now what he's saying is that common sense alone should have told her - and later on, her husband - what to do.

For whatever reason, he just won't accept the fact that he should have shown them the ropes from the beginning.

Then there's this guy at a blog/message board I read. He's a record producer - small time, but very successful in his niche. His blog is an embarrassment to read, as he uses a "voice" that is very... "twee" as the Brits say. It's all written to a formula - he reverses phrases: "It was all clear and bright, and bright and clear." He reverses words. He goes to visit the Bank of Bur (that'd be Burbank) or the Wood of Holly (Hollywood). He doesn't eat supper or dine, no, he "sups", or picks up "foodstuffs" to eat later.

But yes, I read it every day, through squinted eyes at the first paragraph where his tweeness begins, because it's interesting in the fact that he knows people in Hollywood, talks about them, and so on. Also he talks about his music business and it's interesting to read how he runs that.

But, to cut a long story short, he's 60 years old, was overweight - and I think still is, but in order to lose weight... he eats one meal a day. One. He'd done this a couple of years ago, and jogged, and lost weight, then gained it all back again, and now he's trying to lose the weight again, and again, he's doing it by eating one meal a day.

At one point I was subscribed to his message boards, and tried to point out to him that he was making a mistake, that he needed to eat three meals a day, and I presented my credentials that gave me the right to give him that advice! But, no...he knew best, and knows best. (Indeed, he knows best on any number of subjects. He can't remember if he has any appointments the next day, but he can remember how clear the blues, reds and greens of a movie made 30 years ago were, so he can criticize the restoration of a film and mock those online reviewers who say it's just fine. It's so funny.

So after all that, here's the point I'm trying to make. There's an old cliche, "Do what you always do, get what you always get." If you've tried a variety of methods to lose weight, and they haven't worked, or they've worked but only for as long as it took you to regain the weight... you've got to realize that those programs are flawed, and you need a program that isn't flawed.

Common sense will tell you what that program is. Lose weight gradually, by changing your eating habits. Don't deprive yourself of food you like, but do use portion control. Yes, that takes willpower but willpower is a muscle and you can exercise it and make it stronger. Exercise not only helps you lose weight, and maintain your new weight...but it is also fun!

How long have you been following my program, as outlined in this blog? I've got over 200 subscribers now, and I'm assuming you stay subscribed because this program is working for you!

If it isn't working, if you're reading this blog like you read weight loss books, hoping a miracle will happen and the weight will drop off because of how much you're exercising your eyes (by reading - an attempt at witticism there) then you've got to evaluate what you're doing.

Have you been exercising portion control?
Have you been exercising?

If not, why not? List the reasons why you've been unable to exercise, or not use portion control, and figure out a way to start doing them.

Typically the reason is because you've got a family - hubby and kids - who run you ragged and you just don't have time to take care of yourself.

Well, you must make time.

No comments:

Post a Comment