Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Friday, June 24, 2011

OT: Beware of this scam

About a month ago, and again today, I got a phone call from a 1-800 number. The person on the other line was an Indian (India Indian, not Native American), said the name of a company too fast for me to understand what it was, addressed me by name, and then asked for the last 4 digits of my social security number before they would tell me about a business opportunity.

Of course I refused. Sure the last 4 digits of my social aren't the entire social, but its enough for them. If they have a list of social security numbers hacked from some bank (but no names to go with it), and someone whose name they know gives them the last 4 numbers of their social, it's very easy to do a search, find the complete social security number, and then all of a sudden they've got your name and social security number and bang goes your identity.

I asked, "What's this all about," but instead of answering the woman (last time it had been a man) said, if you don't want to give your social just give your address. We just want to confirm your identity.

I replied, "Tell me what your company does, because I've never heard of you."

Again she didn't answer that question,just said "Give us the last two digits of your social."

I said, "No, I'm not comfortable with that, tell me who you are first."

And then, like the last time, she hung up.

So I'm not quite sure what the scam is, I'm assuming its trying to get your social security number - but if someone calls you up, and won't tell you anything about their company before you verify your identity - it's a scam! Just hang up!

No comments:

Post a Comment