Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Friday, October 28, 2011

Beware added ingredients, or why the heck does mozarella need cream cheese?

I was shopping for spaghetti today. I don't like parmesian cheese, so I wanted to get grated mozarella.

I saw a bag that was "new" - Mozarella with cream cheese added for creamier taste.

I looked at the calories - 90 per serving.

Normal mozarella - 70 calories per serving.

Now you know me -I want food to have the ingredients in it that its supposed to have - none of this "low fat" or "sugar free" nonsense. [Unless you like the flavor of it...go for it. But you need fat, and sugar, and carbohydrates in your diet - just in moderate portions).

However, I don't want food to have what it shouldn't have, as for example cream cheese in mozarella cheese! Mozarella tastes just fine the way it is, and for an extra 20 calories per serving is it really necessary to have it "creamier."

In the same way, fruit juice for kids. If you want your kids to drink fruit juice - and you should - have them drink real fruit juice, with no sugar added. There's enough sugar in them to begin with without adding more.

There are always hazards... for example oatmeal... who can eat oatmeal plain? No, you have to add brown sugar to it! But beware how much you add...just a tinge to make it sweet, not several spoonfuls to not only make it sweet but also calorie-ridden.

No comments:

Post a Comment