Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tennis, Anyone?

I've been watching a bit of the Australian Open. I dont' have time to watch all the matches...even if I liked any of the participants, but my favorite Lindsay Davenport is on the sidelines...

I've yet to see Venus Williams and her extremely short "dress", but I know it's raised a lot of eyebrows among commentators who wonder why she finds it necessary to bare her buns... (and I sincerely hope her fellow tennis players don't follow her lead and shorten their already extremely short dresses by another 4 inches. Have some respect for yourself, ladies, you already provide more than enough eye candy!)

But, it's interesting to watch them play and see the strategies they use. Some women hit the ball right back to their opponent constantly, so that its a question of the two women just slugging it out...others hit the ball from left court to right court and back again, causing their opponent to run and run, and by the third set, if there is one, the opponent is all worn out and the strategian is the victor.

But can the average player - like me and you - translate this strategy to the tennis court. I try to hit the ball from side to side, but more often than not it just goes right back to my opponent, who doesn't have to move a step. It's only on the return of serve that I can provide such directionality (I've got a wicked backhand) or at any time that I am standing still. But if I'm on the run, the ball goes right back to my opponent - the worst time for it to do it!

I enjoy tennis. I'm not a fast runner, but I've got quick reflexes, so I can start running quicker than someone else, even though it may take me longer to get to the ball. Also, I've got large breasts, which is why I hate to jog, but the running around on a tennis court lasts only for a minute or two, so it's not that bad. Playing an hour's worth of tennis is pretty good exercise.

I've never played raquetball - I find the echoing sound of the ball in the little room disturbing, but that's another sport to consider.

Swimming, of course - doesn't matter how big your breasts are there, or how heavy you are, everyone can swim.

I've only golfed a few times but intend to get into it more now that I've moved to Cheyenne. It's strictly a summer and fall game here, but it's kind of fun. Unfortunately rules state that you have to drive a cart, so you don't get as much exercise as you otherwise would, but there's always the walking around looking for your ball, and so on, which can add up by the end of a 9-hole game, and especially by the end of an 18-hole game.

Then there's teams sports. Depending where you live, see if there isn't an adult softball - or baseball league - there. Or even flag football. Why not? (And if there isn't, why not form one yourself?)

I've blogged before about rock climbing, that's not for me...but when it's easy to get on top of hte rock so that I can rappel down it..I would enjoy that. THere are places in Wyoming to do this, so that's another plan for summer.

I've got a 13 year old nephew, whom I now live near, who has these "Gazinga" foam swords, and he and I bout a bit. That is really fun. I did some fencing when I was young, and if we were fencing with real swords, I'd beat the kid, but because these foam-covered swords are so unwieldy, he can generally "hit" me because it's too hard to bring the sword back into line to deflect his "blade." But it's fun, and if you're interested in fencing, but don't have a fencing club anywhere near, I'd suggest going to your local Walmart or Sams and getting these Gazinga things. (PLus read a book on fencing so you know the proper footwork and strategy!)

(It's been 2 years since my nephew got these swords...just checked the Walmart site and they don't seem to carry them anymore, but check out:
http://budk.com/results.aspx?k=foam+sword&sourcecode=GONBBK&gclid=CKjd2MaKyqYCFQEGbAodWCXWGw
These are not children's playthings, these are sturdy, heavy duty hard foam over sturdy plastic swords, so that you can hit hard and long (though don't go crazy with them...)

No comments:

Post a Comment