Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Friday, March 4, 2011

General vs Sport-specific fitness

A couple of days ago I'd blogged about my first essay into the world of golf - I went out and hit 30 balls, and announced that the next day, I'd hit 60.

I overestimated it - today (I missed yesterday for various reasons) I decided to hit only 30 balls again.

Although I keep fit over the winter by jogging up and walking down my stairs a few times each day, and performing dummbell curls and lat side raises, that's good for walking and biking...but not so good for golf, I've discovered. (Though I should have known it.)

In "teeing off" which I was doing, you swing your arms back, forward, and up, which also twists your torso in an unnatural movement.

After 30 swings, I wasn't feeling any twinges in any of my muscles, but I could feel the beginning of the beginning of twinges, in particular in my sides. So I decided it would be more sensible to build up my golfing muscles gradually.So my plan it to hit 30 ball each day over the course of the next seven days, then progress to 40 balls a day, then 50, then 60.

The same principle holds true in weight training. "No pain, no gain" is a philosophy for muscle builders, not muscle sculptors. And we want to be muscle sculptors.

No comments:

Post a Comment