Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kicking habits, or replacing bad habits with good, takes time.

For various and sundry reasons I'm trying to keep track of my car mileage, which I want to do by recording the mileage before I start, every place I go, and then back home.

I purchased a small notebook for this purpose, which I have easily accessible in the car. Nevertheless over the last week I have forgotten to write down at least one leg of a trip, more often than not. Sometimes it's because I'm on my own and I just forget because I've got so much I'm thinking about (I like to go for long drives when I'm writing fiction stories, because it helps me think), and sometimes its because I've got other people in the car and they're chattering at me and I just forget.

I'm trying to turn it into a habit and it's not there yet...hopefully in another week or so.

It's even harder to change a food-eating habit, since there are a lot of psychological pressures involved, not to mention phsysiogical pressures like just plain feeling hungry.

But if you set out your clear goal of what habit you want to establish, and work on it consistently despite initial setbacks, eventually that habit will be entrenched.

So if you want to make a habit of eating cereal for breakfast, instead of a donut, or of gradually cutting back on the amount of salad dressing you put on your salad, things like that, it can be done. And you can do it. Just give yourself a reasonable length of time to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment