Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Change Displacement Activitiy From Eating to Action

I think I've mentioned this a few times.... currently I"m pouring all my energy - and money - into the garden outside my first floor (I live on first floor, my parents live on second floor of a two story house) because I have no control over what's going on in various rooms in my "apartment" if I may call my first floor that  - I had 4 holes in my ceilings thanks to a plumber, and a guy has been sheet-rocking these four holes for 17 weeks now, with at least 5 weeks to go. He didn't come at all last week (he only comes on Saturday).  [Yes, you heard me, he started this project 17 weeks ago and is still not finished.]

And there's stuff I'd like to be doing here that I can't do because everything's pulled apart  to give the guy access to each of the holes, because I'd covered those holes to my own satisfaction a year ago with poster board, which admittedly didn't look too nice if you looked up at it, but there was no reason to look up at it because there weren't these gaping holes to draw your eye anymore...and put in all my furniture had it was looking just fine until 17 weeks ago my dad said, "Oh, he's going to start sheet rocking now. I said no, he said yes, and so 17 weeks later...here I am.)

So since I'm out of control with what's happening on first floor, and extremely angry about it (the guy probably would have taken 17 weeks anyway, but each time he didn't show up or worked for only an hour and left my dad would say, "Oh, hell, there's no hurry," and "Oh, hell, take your time" which certainly didn't give him the idea that there was any urgency about his little project...) and having to keep all that bottled up inside - I'm taking out all my frustration, and spending all my money - on the outside garden. Which of course angers me even more because there's a lot of stuff I"d rather be buying than this garden stuff....

So, anyway, my displacement activity is to be active and create an environment that I do have control over, namely my garden. Others buy stuff like shoes they'll never wear, or wear only once. Others eat.

Well, buying shoes you don't need is bad, but not quite as bad as eating to assuage your anger. And really, if you eat even though you're not hungry, but just because it makes you feel good - that's displacement activity for something.

So get control of your environment if you can, if not, do something constructive rather than destructive. Start a garden, go biking, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment