Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Thursday, November 18, 2010

Find A Sport to Play Your Whole Life

There's nothing I enjoy more than sitting in front of my computer surfing the web or writing. I could...and do...do it all day....interspersed with some activity.

After an hour or so of working on a research or writing project, my attention starts to flag. I can't take a break to watch TV (my computer is so situated that I can watch TV while I work on the computer) so I get outside and ride my bike for half an hour. Sometimes I just go for one circuit of the driveway that runs around my apartment complex - a ride of a mere five to ten minutes. Other times the weather is so nice that I'll stay out for an hour.

Of course, I live in a residential area with not a lot of car traffic for most of the day. Other people who live in congested cities - for example the heart of New York or Chicago, are not so lucky, and they may have to travel some distance before they can bike safely.

But whether you bike, walk, fence, play tennis, golf, or play on a skateboard, cultivate the skill and do it all your life.

Indeed, it's best if you have two activities. Play tennis two or three times a week, but walk every day for at least half an hour (and work up to that time span if you can't do it to start with.)

Swimming is called the perfect activity - it exercises both your legs and your arms, and works on your cardiovascular fitness. Truth to tell, I've always found swimming laps to be pretty boring, but now you can purchase waterproof IPods and earbuds so you can listen to music while you swim, which helps immensely!

In addition, try to get some exercise while you shop or go on trips. Instead of wasting ten minutes looking for a parking space close to a store, park at the rear of the parking lot and walk for five minutes. Sure, you're not going to get a lot of cardio, but you're stretching your legs and moving.

Take the stairs instead of an elevator - again, it's a bit of a workout for your muscles.

Keeping active your entire life...will ensure that you will be able to be active your entire life! (Of course, if you are mobility impaired, there are still sports you can play -- wheelchair basketball, for example. And you can enjoy the fresh air and scenery on hiking and biking trails just like anyone else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment