Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Welcome to December

For those new to this blog, about three years ago I was a hundred pounds overweight. So I kmow what it's like - the sweat under the breasts (I have large breasts, even when I'm not overweight!) Relaxing in a bath tub and sending the water splashing over the sides. Having to buy new clothes. Chastising some punk kids for behaving meanly towards a pet dog, and getting "You're fat so don't tell us what to do" comments.

For me, I lost weight because I wanted to be able to ride my bike, and it was a heckuva lot harder while carrying around an extra 100 pounds. Of course that's a circle - by riding my bike even harder I was able to lose the weight quicker than just by watching my eating as well.

What triggered this weight gain? Well, my metabolism changed. It used to be that I could eat as much as I wanted, and more importantly, drink as much Pepsi as I wanted, during spring, summer and fall, because I'd burn it off with my biking. I'd gain weight during winter because I was not a winter sports person at all,and I did not adjust my eating, but I'd burn off the gained weight come spring.

Three years or so ago...I didn't. When you get older your metabolism slows down, so I gained weight during winter, and it did not come off in the spring. In addition, I'd had some personal disappointments and was consolding myself with eating a half gallon of ice cream a day.

It took me to get to the tipping point, 100 pounds overweight (from 134 to 234) before I said, "Okay, this is getting out of hand" and decided I'd have to take the terrible step of giving up Pepsi. I drank 5 pepsis a day - that was 1,000 extra pepsis. All I had to do was cut out the pepsi and maintain my exercise level, and the weight came off.

But pepsi was my vice, and it was very difficult to give it up. I had to do it gradually.

More on this in my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment