Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Sunday, November 14, 2010

Participate in Run-a-thons/Walk-a-thons

I've long been a fan of the WASP of WWII (women who ferried planes from place to place, as well as towed targets for plane-to-plane and ground-to-plane target practice - very dangerous work) and drove down to Sweetwater Texas on Saturday to get the autograph of a WASP who was there. It was the first annual WASP 5K run fund raiser (participants paid $25, but got a t-shirt and various goodies from Sweetwater busineses) and there was a pilot from Dyess Airforce base, Rachel Wall, who flies Hercules C130s, as well as a couple of actual, real athletes who do it for a living, as well as 30 other participants who were just normal people.

I hadn't intended to participate, but as I was standing around looking at the bustle, a woman started talking to me, asking me if I was walking, and I said, heck, I'd do it. So I signed in. Then was approached by another woman who invited me to walk with them (I walked rather than ran) since it was my first time. Long story short - everyone was extremely friendly. Don't know if it was because it was Texas and everyone in Texas is just real friendly, or if it was just the community of runners/walkers that was so friendly.

Anyway, if you've never participated in walkathons or runs, consider doing so. They are generally for good causes and each time you complete it, it'll make you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment