Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Thursday, July 5, 2012

3 more weeks...

I know I've complained - although I prefer the term vented - about my dad's "handyman" here several times.

Well, we might be getting near the end. Of the four holes that he's been working on for 30 weeks, one is now completely finished. Sheetrocked, mudded, sanded, and painted with "orange peel" to match the textured paint of the ceiling. The paint job doesn't match to well, but I said fine.

So after spending two hours last Sunday doing the sanding and the paint job on this one hole, he left. So although he could probably get all 3 of the remaining holes finished in one day if he'd just stay and work for maybe 4 hours , I know he'll only do one a week. So, 3 more weeks. Always assuming he won't cancel out a week.

I know it sounds stupid, I know it is stupid, but that's what happens when  you get caught up in things beyond your control.

For a bit of personal background - my parents and I moved to Cheyenne a year and a half ago to be near my sister, her husband, and their son - my nephew and my parent's only grandson.

I don't really know why we did it - we bought a house out of town and we see them once a month. I think my dad had visions of doing "grandad-grandson" things, but we lived in the same town with them in Virginia and they never did anything together then, either, so what made him think it would be any different out here?

My nephew spends all his time playing computer games. He's age 13, and has always been the master of the household.  (If they go on a camping vacation and he's bored...home they come. If he eats snacks before they're going out to dinner, they'll still order dinner for him at a restaurant and not say a word when he ends up throwing away two-thirds of his food.)

Well, I'll stop ranting on that.

Anyway, in a sense this is a good lesson for dieters. Sometimes it seems you're rushing headlong down the wrong path - the overeating path - but you can't seem to stop yourself. You take the path of least resistance rather than digging in your heels and saying, "Enough's enough."

It's at times like this you really need to rely on your journal. (It is much better, for privacy reasons if nothing else, to pour out your soul to your journal - not to your friends. Friends change, leave, betray you, etc., but a journal is forever.)

Keep track of what your'e doing and why, and you can figure out if you are going down the wrong path - over-eating before a big meeting or something when you'd promised yourself you'd lose weight for it. Self-sabotage for some reason.

"Know thyself." More importantly, "Be honest with yourself."

Knowledge is power. A cliche, but true for all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment