Pages

How to reach and maintain your ideal weight, using common sense.
This blog is for healthy individuals who are mobile.



Sunday, July 29, 2012

Special Report: Putting Weight Loss Programs to the Test

Four weeks is not enough time to evaluate any weight loss plan... because in four weeks you won't lose more than 5 pounds or so. It takes at least two weeks for your body to get to a "caloric imbalance" state where it can start losing weight!

From KIMT 3:  Special Report: Putting Weight Loss Programs to the Test

MASON CITY, IA - We see them on TV, hear them on the radio and read them on-line and in print… we're talking about ads for weight-loss.

So, we wanted to know if diet programs are worth the money. Over the last four weeks three volunteers and myself have been putting four weight-loss programs to the test.

KIMT is not endorsing any of these plans, simply documenting the results.

One of our volunteers was Angie Von Rueden. She spends a lot of her work day sitting at the computer, and when she gets home she's busy looking after her son.

"Since I've started my new job, I've gained 25-30 pounds and I've never really had kind of a sit down job,” Angie said.

Angie is working with "Plan Z by Zola", a diet designed to help you eat healthy without the need of exercise. Plan Z focuses on food low in carbs and sugars and high in protein and veggies. Plan Z also includes a homeopathic formula that reduces the discomforts of dieting.
"I'm just looking forward to having more energy, feeling healthier, just feeling better about myself,” Angie added.

Marc Murray is another volunteer. He keeps a very active lifestyle. When he's not at work, he's on the go staying busy with his wife and kids.

Marc says, "I was just concerned with how my weight was going. Just health issues wanted to be around a long time with my kids and grandkids."

Since he's usually on the move, Marc needed something that could keep up with him so he's going on Weightwatchers. The program assigns point values to each food you eat. Your challenge is to stay underneath a given point value each day, and each week.

Terry Hjelle is also constantly moving, and is our third volunteer. 

"My wife and I we have four kids, kind of active so, I want to be able to keep up with them,” he said.
Keeping an eye on a full house can keep Terry pretty busy-so he's getting some help from a program that provides some of your meals for you. Terry is going onto Advocare, a diet set-up to help him get the nutrition he needs through a variety of shakes, drinks and pills while also allowing him to eat few meals.

And then, there's my weight loss remedy. Along with a healthy diet plenty of fruits, vegetables and a lot of protein we're adding something a little extra to this work out. And to get the help I needed, I went to Cutting Edge Fitness in Clear Lake to work with nationally renowned strength trainer Jason Laube.

"This four week plan is designed to burn a lot of calories in one hour. We have two days of upper body, two days of lower body, weight resistance training along with anaerobics. We do a lot of sprint interval training. Our goal is going to be to lose at least two to three pounds a week, no less than that,” Jason said.

Four weeks later… We had the results.

“I never thought that I'd be able to lose 21 pounds in a month, so I'm very pleased with the results,” Angie Von Rueden said.

“Besides losing weight I have a lot more energy and I noticed I have been able to sleep better at night as well,” she added.

Angie had to stick to a strict diet, but looking at herself now, from four weeks ago, she says it was worth it.

“Family members and co-workers have been great support, and are shocked with how much weight I was able to lose so quickly."

Marc Murrary lost 6 ½ pounds. And although it may not be a huge number, Marc says he's right on track.

“They don't want you to lose that much, about two pounds a week is what they shoot for,” he said.
And Marc says he's not discouraged or disappointed with the results. Instead, he knows it will just take a little time but he'll get to where he wants to be, and he's happy with his progress.
“I've lost twenty pounds and I feel great,” Terry Hjelle said.
Working with Advocare, Terry also dropped quite a bit of weight, cutting 20 pounds in their 24-day challenge.

“It's easier to get up in the morning, I just all around feel better about myself and I feel healthier,” he said.

And then, there’s my results.

Cutting Edge Fitness trainer Jason Laube sat down with me and explained my progress over the four weeks.

"Evidence kind of speaks for itself in a short amount of time here. You lost a total of 15 pounds since you started with us, you lost an inch and a half of your waist line, 15% body fat, also, what's more clear to me and amazing, you went from 27% in terms of your skeletal muscle mass in your body, up to 48%. That's pretty amazing in itself right there Tyler," Laube said.

He continued, saying, "Anybody can do this if they have the right attitude, the right mental approach and they’re willing to work with us and ask the right questions and be willing to get educated in this process as well too."

There you have it, four weight loss programs, all of which came at a cost, but you've also seen what they can do.

So, are they worth the money? That's for you to decide.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment